Friday, September 24, 2010

listening in...

I am confessing to you readers and to myself of a habit I have that I have yet to determine if its ok to have or not to have. (and no its not being so great at run on sentences.)


I am a listener.

Not in the sense of you and I in a conversation, and when you speak, I am listening. More of when you are in a conversation around me and I have no idea who you are, I tap into your conversation. Not even on purpose my ears chime into your voice and I am listening. Deeply listening. I noticed my 'habit' in a strange way today as i was sipping a french press of aged Sumatra at a favorite local coffee house in Portland. This place smells of thought and tastes of determination. I am in love. i feel energized just walking from my car to the front door, I know my appointment I have with this french press is far greater than the one I could have at a corporate, get your ass out the door, here's your crap coffee house. This joint is pure and romantic. I am left alone wherever i sit to do what I need to do, draw, write, type. Its the perfect mistress. A delicious mission.

Oh back to my point, Ha, listening. I was caught off guard by these two older men that sat at the table next to mine. They were easily in the early 70's and reminded me of what Albert Einsteins Bff's looked like. They both were wearing fantastic sweater vests,  not Cosby sweaters, but sweaters that you knew have seen more of this planet that i have dreamed of. They sipped ever so slowly espresso from black demitasse cups and neither needed a plate for the ceramic, for they were also mission induced.

These two fine gents spoke in a very soft and cryptic manner at first, and before i could even look up and smile at there table of 'wisdom' the gent closest to me slammed his hand on the table and in the most 'determined' voice demanded his fellow man to hear his statement. 'If Facebook was not around, neither of us would have a relationship with our Grandchildren!!!'


And that's when the listening began. I was now fully engaged in the conversation of the generation that never had technology....a generation who's family lives where the most important relationships...whose generation is now being demanded to join in on the necessities of what seems to be the greatest relationships we have, our hundreds of Facebook friends.

I continued to listen as they discussed the whereabouts of their grandchildren. The one who is in Korea teaching children English. The Grandson who just decided to travel the Grand Canyon for the third time this year. the Granddaughter whose research is being published in an upcoming Medical magazine.

I wanted more as they both got up and left. I wanted to ask questions about who they are. If their grandchildren are this outstanding because the stories and lives of these two fine men.  it floored me. I am in Awe. The listening gave me a great gift. No matter who you come in contact with, there is a life long story that Hollywood has nothing on. the amazing beginnings and endings and adventures lie within us all. I know someone is always listening to you, as someone is listening to me.

Ears open!
KnM

No comments:

Post a Comment